What I’ve Been Up to:
- We’ve had a couple false starts, but we are potty-training for reals right now.
- We took the doors off in our house and repainted them. It was a pain, but it really looks nicer. Then we patched and painted every nail hole in our house. I’m not sure why the previous owners put around a hundred nail holes throughout the house, but we finally got around to fixing them all. And our basement is almost finished!
- Had a yard sale, hooray for scaling down on stuff to move.
- Spent a lot of time enjoying the outdoors in beautiful Southern Utah. We went to Zion’s, Snow Canyon and Pioneer Park.
- Tried this recipe for Roasted Squash and Kale using stuff from my Bountiful Basket. It was delicious.
- Sitting by the pool while the kids have swim lessons. Brings back happy memories.
What I’ve Been Reading/Watching/Listening to:
- How the Modesty Police are Hurting My Son Yes! This! “But don’t you dare say it is to protect my son. Because I am teaching my son that he is responsible for each of his thoughts and actions. I am teaching my son that he needs to treat females and males respectfully, no matter what they wear. I am teaching my son that the media uses sex to sell things and that he’s strong enough to not be manipulated by a woman’s body. I’m teaching my son to use his mind over his groin and I’m teaching him that women are more than just their body parts.”
- Two Activist Within Mormon Church Threatened with Excommunication This makes me sad. I know my bishop said that John Dehlin was the reason that he is still a member. And Kate Kelly is just asking the President of the LDS Church to ask God. She is a believer! The LDS Church is sending a message that it is not ok to ask questions, it is not okay to try to be inclusive and loving to gays and it is not okay to not fit a cookie cutter. Diversity, thinking and inclusion make this world a more beautiful place. And I also followed most of the drama throughout the month. Mostly because I know that these events effect my friends.
- Former Human Trafficker Opens Up About His Crimes To Protect Victims During World Cup This breaks my heart that this is happening to these poor young girls. But before it can stop people need to be aware that it is happening.
- The 8 Best Lines From Ginsburg’s Dissent on the Hobby Lobby Contraception Decision Ruth Ginsburg is awesome. I loved this article, it’s a nice summary and she brought up points that I have also been saying, plus several more intelligent points. I believe in freedom of religion, but that doesn’t mean that an employer can impose their religious beliefs on their employees. IUD’s are not a form of abortion. They are a form of birth control that for some women is medically necessary. And as predicted, this ruling has already opened up a minefield.